Tuesday, August 17, 2004

A mammoth undertaking

So over the weekend, the Peach, in an attempt to better understand our movie co-rental dilemmas (i.e., I like dark dramas and black comedy, she likes girl movies and musicals), decided that I needed to make for her a list of every movie I'd ever seen. At the time, I thought she was joking, but she was dead serious. So I tried to figure out how to do it quickly, efficiently, and accurately, because if I'm going to do a job, I'm going to at least try to do it right.

I started yesterday, going through the IMDB, starting in 1930, and scanning through every film. I figure she doesn't care much about accuracy before 1930, and I haven't seen many from that time period, anyhow; any film I remember seeing from that time period I can simply look up and record that way. So far, I'm just heading into 1937, and I have 21 films.

I'm really afraid of how big this is going to get; when she assigned me this task, Peach forgot just how many movies I've seen. It's easily 5 or 6 times as many as she's seen, and probably about double the size of an "average" person's list (if, in fact, an "average" person would make such a list at all). But I realized that this was the kind of thing I've wanted to do for a while now, and as long as it's for a good cause (read: smoother relationship), I've got no reason to put it off any longer. If anyone's interested in the full list, you can drop me an e-mail or leave a comment; if I get enough interest, I might just post the list (or link to it, depending on how long it is).

No comments: