Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Yo ho, yo ho, an academic's life for me.

The more time I spend on the University of Alberta campus, the better I feel. I'm not on campus proper very often, as all my classes are in one building on the very south-easternest point of University property, but I wandered around the central campus on Friday, and everywhere I went made me feel good. The FAB art gallery was very interesting. I'm not an arts guy, and some of the exhibits left me a little blank, but there were some really interesting experiments with form and design that started some long-dormant graphic synapses to fire with excitement. For the next ten minutes of my walk I looked at every building with a photographer's eye, trying to imagine the angle that would best capture its line.

Some people - my younger brother, for instance - think that my obsession with academia is me trying to escape from the pressures of the real world. I don't know if I can actually refute that, but the fact that simply being on campus makes me feel smarter and happier might have something to do with it too. Even if I would make a terrible photographer.

No comments: