Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Love Comics!

An excerpt from a conversation I had with Morgoid this afternoon:

Me: It's comics day today! I'm super excited!
Morgoid: When I can justify the expense I'm going to buy more comic books!
Me: I can justify the expense: I like comics and I don't smoke.
Morgoid: lol
Me: I spend less on comics in a month than my brother does on cigarettes, and comics won't eventually kill me. Unless I die getting crushed to death by my massive comic collection.
Morgoid: "He died as he lived: buried in comics."

I don't normally talk too much about comics in this space, because I'm not nearly as comics-literate as many of the people out there in the blogosphere. But I do love me some comics, I tell you what, and when I trolled by Progressive Ruin today, Mike Sterling had put up the latest entry in the 100 Things I Love About Comics meme that pops up on February 14th (originated by Fred Hembeck). I found out about it a little late last year, and put a list of my own up at the defunct Edmonton Geek Society. This year, though, I really wanted to try it again. Now, I know I should probably write about relish or something, as condiments seem to be what the peeps want, but I just had to put this list up. Mock me at will, folks, but I love comics, and I'm not afraid to put up a list that most people won't understand to prove it!

100 (More) Things I Love About Comics
1. Action Philosophers by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey
2. The All-New Atom by Gail Simone et al
3. All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
4. Alpha Flight. Not necessarily any particular issue of the comics, I just like the team. Puck, Sasquatch, Vindicator, Shaman, Guardian, Northstar, Aurora…I just love 'em.
5. Always Remember...
6. Amalgam Comics
7. The Amazing Joy Buzzards by Mark Smith and Dan Hipp
8. The Amazing Screw-On Head by Mike Mignola
9. Ambush Bug by Keith Giffen
10. American Century by Howard Chaykin, David Tischmann et al
11. The entire Annihilation saga by Keith Giffen et al
12. Banana Sunday by Root Nibot and Colleen Coover
13. The week where the internet was overrun by a whole lotta Batgirls
14. Batman: The Long Hallowe'en by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
15. Birds of Prey by Gail Simone et al
16. Bite Club by Howard Chaykin and David Tischmann
17. Bizarro Comics
18. Blankets by Craig Thomson
19.
Beau Smith's Busted Knuckles at Silver Bullet Comics
20. Casanova by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Ba
21. Ch'p, Green Lantern of Sector 1014
22. Cigarro & Cerveja by Tony Esteves
23. Comics Oughta Be Fun!
24. Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman & George Perez
25. Dave's Long Box
26. Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
27. District X by David Hine et al
28. DMZ by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli
29. Doctor Doom
30. Dynastic Centerpieces as explained by Scipio.
31. Etrigan the Demon
32. Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughn and Tony Harris
33. Fallen Angel by Peter David et al
34. Fantastic Four by Mark Waid and Mark Wieringo
35. The Filthy Assistants (Channon Yarrow and Yelena Rossini)
36. Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatties, and Kevin Maguire
37. Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius by Chris Eliopolous and Mark Sumerak
38.Get Fuzzy by Darby Conley
39. Ghost Rider 2099. I don't know why, but that title just grab bed me.
40. Global Frequency by Warren Ellis et al
41. The leaked pilot for the abandoned Global Frequency tv series. I mean, uh, I've never seen that before.
42. Godland by Joe Casey and Tom Scioli
43. Groo The Wanderer by Sergio Aragones, Mark Evanier, and Stan Sakai
44. Hercules from Marvel Comics. Gave me my favourite moment of Civil War, which isn't really saying much, but I've always had a soft spot for that guy.
45. Howard The Duck
46. Impulse
47. The Invincible Super-Blog
48. James by Mark Tonra
49. Jonah Hex
50. Judging Books By Their Covers at Comics Should Be Good
51. Justice Society of America by Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham
52. King by Ho Che Anderson
53. (Supergirl &) The Legion of Superheroes by Mark Waid & Barry Kitson
54. Manhunter by Mark Andreyko and artists
55. Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones
56. Mister Miracle
57. Monsieur Mallah and The Brain
58. My Faith in Frankie by Mike Carey and Sonny Liew
59. Nat Turner by Kyle Baker
60. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. by Warren Ellis and Stewart Immonen
61. Northwest Passage by Scott Chantler
62. Phonogram by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
63. Polite Dissent
64. Powers by Brian Michael Bendis & Mike Avon Oeming
65. Pretty, Fizzy Paradise
66. Raging Bullets: A DC Comics Fan Podcast. Sometimes a little rambly, but entertaining.
67. Robbie Robertson (the newspaper editor, not the musician)
68. Robin (Tim Drake)
69. Rocket Red
70. Ron Perlman as Hellboy. Seriously, he's the only guy who could possibly have done it.
71. Sandman Mystery Theater by Matt Wagner
72. Scud: The Disposable Assassin by Rob Schrab
73. Shade The Changing Man by Peter Milligan et al
74. The Shadow by Andrew Helfer, Bill Sienkiewicz, and Kyle Baker
75. Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil by Jeff Smith
76. Showcase Presents: Metamorpho
77. Smoke by Alex de Campi and Igor Kordey
78. Solo #5 (Darwyn Cooke)
79. Solo #6 (Jordi Bernet)
80. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane by Sean McKeever and Takeshi Miyazawa
81. Spider-Man, the movie
82. The Spirit by Darwyn Cooke
83. Stan Lee's cameo in Mallrats
84. Stargirl
85. Stuff Sucks by Liz Greenfield
86. Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar, Dave Johnson, and Kilian Plunkett
87. The Superman/Madman Hullabaloo! by Mike Allred
88. "Sweet Christmas!" Love me a good catchphrase.
89. Teen Titans #17-19: Titans Tomorrow by Geoff Johns & Mike McKone
90. The Thing by Dan Slott, Andrea DiVito, and Kieron Dwyer
91. Three Men And A Comic Book from Season 2 of The Simpsons
92. The Tick live-action television show
93. Thor by Walt Simonson
94. Tintin by Hergé
95. Top Ten by Alan Moore, Zander Cannon, and Gene Ha
96. Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters by Justin Grey, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Daniel Acuña
97. We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
98. What If..?
99. Written World
100. X-Factor by Peter David et al

There we go. The urge to write about comics is now out of my system. At least, for the moment.


(Edit: because Allan inadvertently reminded me that I didn't include it, here's a link to the first 100. You know, in case you thought this wasn't dorky enough.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comments on your list:

1. "What If" rules. Even if I don't think the newer issues are as good.

2. I wish DC had done more "Solo". I would have loved to see an issue devoted to Bernie Wrightsen or Brian Bolland.

3. Not a fan of "Y the Last Man"? Or was it Jago who liked that series?

4. Wednesday is my favorite day of the week. Waiting for work to get done so I can go to the comic store. ... Sometimes I feel sad to be such a geek. But then I realize, I'm not alone.

Jago said...

Devin enjoys "Y, The Last Man," but I'm the one who craves it enough to buy it monthly. I'm so gay for Brian K. Vaughan no matter what he does: Runaways, Ex Machina, Y...

Hey! You know what would make an AWESOME 30th birthday gift?

Pride of Baghdad!

No, I kid, although I'll hunt it down if I don't get it this weekend.

The Doc said...

Allan, I do like "Y" quite a bit. In fact, it was on my first list, which wasn't linked to because it's on the EGS. But I'll edit the post to include the link to the first 100 (if you can even TAKE it)?

Jago, yes, we all know you're in love with BKV. In fact, some of us were talking...and we think you need help...

Morgan Smith said...

Oh my God!

BLANKETS: Cried my eyes out! Must own someday!

GHOST RIDER 2099: I'm soooo happy that I'm not the only person on earth to read that series! It was one of the only comics they ever had at the Mac's near my house. I think I gave my issues away to a daycare centre I used to go to...

WE3: Another tearjerker. God that poor bunny... "Uh oh."
"Where is Bandit?"
"Is home."

Liam J. said...

The more I think about Alpha Flight, I loved the comic but there was a period there (a couple artist removed from John Byrne) in the first incarnation where the art was just terrible. I also got tired of Snowbird's son. However, that was one heck of a superteam.

Also, Superman is the best.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts on Superman Returns are. I was horribly disappointed, in retrospect. It's become just another showcase for CGI. I hope they do more with the movie franchise than they did this movie.

Finally, Kingdom Come. I didn't know that comics could look this good and the story was amazing.

Morgan Smith said...

Oh also, the "Buried in comics" line was stolen and altered from something that Scottybomb said--just soes he doesn't stumble across this and think I'm stealin' his bits without crediting him.

Anonymous said...

Kyle Jago: "Devin...I'm so gay...AWESOME..."

Anyway, I barely read comics anymore, but I am particularly in agreement with you about Annihilation - great story and logical development complete with tying together story threads from *30 years ago*.

I'm surprised given your tastes for Howard the Duck and some of the humor super hero stuff that you never enjoyed Steve Gerber's Defenders or Omega the Unknown. Both of those were awesome - in fact, OMega was about 20 years ahead of its time - too bad it didn't last!

Anonymous said...

BTW, the reason I point out that I don't read that many comics has nothing to do with some super-elitist statement; I meant it more as a statement of just *how much* Annihilation grabbed me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for listing us first!
Man o man do I miss SCUD.

The Doc said...

Morgoid, hooray for GR2099! Also: don't be worried about Scotty reading this. It's an HOMAGE.

Liam, first I should say welcome sir! In regards to Superman, when I saw it I loved the first hour and a half but hated the last hour. I'd have to see it again to really gather my feelings on it, but that's my initial impression.

Justice, yeah, Annihilation was wicked awesome! As for Gerber, I haven't had much opportunity to read more of his stuff other than Howard, but I'd definitely check it out on your recommendation.

Ryan, don't mention it! I love Action Philosophers: it even intrigued my brother, who stopped reading comics years ago. High quality product.