Thursday, July 08, 2004

One to lose?

I got my keys cut yesterday, and the envelope they came in said: "KEYS! You should have 3. 1 to use, 1 to hide, 1 to lose." One to lose? You get your three pairs of keys, put one on your keychain, one under the doormat, and then throw one out of the car window on the freeway? What's the point of that? I guess so The Key Man will have repeat business.

At work lately, I've been calling a lot of people to check up on their job searches. A lot of them don't have work yet, but it's really nice to hear that a few of them have found a job, sometimes even in their field. I saw one of our billboards for the first time yesterday, and it said: "Over 95% of graduates find employment." Okay, fine. How many Personal Care Aides are working at The Bay? How many Accounting Assistants are working at McDonalds? That's a very misleading message, and the statistics come from my department. I don't know how to feel about that.

Also, the worst thing that I found out about someone that I was calling is that she's getting a hysterectomy, and so isn't looking for a job. I don't know why, but that made me really sad, and reminded me of a book I read lately (that I won't talk much about, so as not to ruin it for those of you that might want to read it). It's really Male Pig of me, probably, but I thought, "Wow, a hysterectomy. That's taking away the one thing that's most important about being a woman." Like I was reducing all women to breeding machines. Leaving out all the non-breeding lesbians, or the infirtile women with completely intact uteri. And besides, it's not much more frightening a procedure, surgically speaking, than an appendectomy. But it's all about my awe of the idea that women are living cradles of life. That's something I'll never be able to do. I'll also never be able to have an afro either, but I'm not in awe of my brother. Well, okay, maybe I am. His hair is HUGE.

No comments: