Thursday, December 09, 2004

Canada: The Post-Modernest

So, the Supreme Court of Canada has just ruled that legislation to extend marriage rights to gays and lesbians would be in line with the Constitution. (Interestingly enough, though, they didn't say whether the current common-law definition - which excludes homosexuals - is constituional.) So Paul Martin, our Prime Minister, is going ahead with legislation to extend the definition, where it has to be passed by Parliament. Something tells me that it's going to be a hard fight, what with the minority government and all, but I'm happy about the court's decision, nonetheless. We'll see what the MPs have to say about it.

The biggest surprise of the story, though, is when Martin is quoted sayingthat Canada was the "world's most post-modern country". I was not aware. Unless I'm wrong, post-modernism is a revolution in either the fine arts or philosophy, one that rejects modern practices and mores. I guess I didn't notice our post-modern status, being in the middle of Alberta, which is just starting to feel the effects of The Enlightenment.

1 comment:

Evil Robot Boy said...

It's a good bet that the NDP will be on board. And maybe some of the Bloc. I think the legislation will pass.

RE po-mo.ca: it's actually never ocurred to me to consider how other countries (for example Europe) view the gay marriage debate. Compared to our neighbors (not american spelling) to the south, I suppose we are most definitely rejecting the current/traditional philosophies of marriage and society. So perhaps post modern is an apt description. Although I can't help but wonder if Mr. Martin actually knew what he was talking about or not.

And if Alberta is starting to feel the effects of The Enlightenment, then that's the best news I've heard all day. Yee-haw! (just kidding. Sort of. Individually, most Albertans I've met are great. Collectively, well that's another story)