Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Doc's First Law of Eating

I am overweight; have been for much of my life. In fact, the only time I can remember actually feeling good about the way my body looked was in high school, when I grew six inches and gained no weight. Aah, high school. Aside from the crippling social exclusion and the minor girl phobia, those were good times.

Anyhow. I'm trying to live healthier, and because I absolutely hate to exercise, I thought I'd start at first with the food I eat. It's not a diet, it's a re-evaluating of what I'm eating, like "Wow, do I really need to eat pizza six days in a row?" The Peach has a diet analysis computer program from one of her classes last year that I've been using to calculate what I've been eating; you enter your food (or the closest approximation to it), and the program calculates your caloric intake, your vitamins and minerals, and even shows you how you're doing on the Food Pyramid. It's very cool.

My dietary pattern, though, seems to obey the laws of Quantum Physics, to wit: the act of measuring something changes the very thing that you're measuring. I'm not saying that up until last week I ate nothing but cheeseburgers, but I know for a fact I've eaten more salad in the past two weeks than I did over the entire summer. Which is a good thing, because I've just remembered that lettuce is awesome.

No comments: