Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Wedding Just Got Nerdier

Just got off the phone with my Peach a few minutes ago, and as usual when we have a conversation, we chatted a bit about the upcoming wedding. I have just been informed that at my wedding reception, in addition to a dj and a dance - which I hope many of my guests will be partaking of - there will also be a number of tables set up where people will be (wait for it) playing board games. Nothing too geeky; no Settlers of Catan or Puerto Rico. But still: there will be BOARD GAMES at my WEDDING RECEPTION.

Realistically, it makes sense. Peach's family doesn't really dance very much, and the board games will be set up earlier, during the cocktail hour, so that people can play them and get to know each other, as icebreakers. But the sight of my Peach dolled up in her wedding dress at the Pit table, screaming "THREE! THREE! THREE!" cracks me up.

8 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

It'll be *board* games and not card games, right? Cuz the sight of Peach throwing her cards down for Dutch Blitz or grabbing at Spoons is equally amusing, but not at all good for her beautiful dress or her arms and hands. Card games can get pretty vicious, ya know ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you should turn your tables into a massive poker tournament. Nothing gets a wedding going like a multi-table tourney!

Thrillhous said...

Doc, that's awesome! My wife and I just got obscenely drunk at our wedding.

Mrs L, you said it about Spoons. I have visions of flowers flying and candles setting fire to table cloths.

Jeanie said...

That is the coolest weddomg thing I have ever heard.

EVER.

Xeryfyn said...

YAY! How awesome!!!

Otto Man said...

I was so drunk at my reception, I doubt I could've played Candyland.

The Doc said...

Mrs. L, it'll be mostly board games but Pit is a card game, definitely one of those "bad for the arms and hands" board games. Not as bad as Spoons, but close.

Justice, The Peach laughs at your suggestion and thinks about rearranging the guest list.

T-Hous, initially I was really reluctant to agree, but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. We had better just accept our geekitude.

Jeans, thanks! I thought it was the dorkiest thing I'd ever heard, but then again, I'm weird like that.

Xeryfyn, that reminds me about the time you and I threw a Clue party. That was a weird idea, even in retrospect.

Otto, having never played Candyland myself but knowing the skill level that you need to be able to play it, I am startled and impressed by your drunken wedding shenanegans. Unlike you and T-Hous, I will not be getting drunk, as a) my Peach doesn't really drink, and b) I don't really relish the idea of being drunk around her family. All of my good work would go RIGHT down the tubes.

Anonymous said...

At the last wedding I went to, my cousin's, there was a hula hoop contest and musical chairs. The only thing that could have made it better would be a table where we could play cribbage or spoons. So much fun.