Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Year's Worth of Comics...In One Evening

Yesterday, the last issue of DC Comics's weekly comic series / big comics event 52 came out (on 5/2 no less; they're nothing if not savvy marketers). I've been collecting the series since issue one, and reading them religiously every week. It's been an interesting, if uneven ride, and many, many, people have commented on it many, many, many times before. (If you care about spoilers, for the love of god, think before you click.) Before reading the last issue, however, I decided I was going to re-read the previous fifty-one issues. Tonight.

There's 22 pages per issue (plus an extra 10 pages for the super-sized final issue), which makes for 1154 pages; that's nearly as many as one of the last fiction books I finished, The Count of Monte Cristo, but needless to say a little less intense to read. Since it takes me about five to ten minutes to read a single issue, with an average time of seven-and-a-half-minutes per volume, it should take me about six and a half hours to get through the whole thing. And of course I'm going to need to take small breaks to get up and change the reading music, get a beer, go to the washroom, interact with The Peach, and so on. Plus, if I'm going to make notes (an idea I'm toying with), it'd take longer. But I've taken a nap, and I dont have to be at work until 1:00 tomorrow afternoon. This will be finished before I go to bed tonight. Thank god my Peach loves me despite my eccentricities.

No comments: