Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Return of What's Up Wednesday

I let it slide for two weeks, but no more! All must know of the various minutiae of my life! However, since I'm working on something sizeable - at least, for this little blog - it's going to be fairly short.

The TV Show: When Survivor dawned, I laughed at it and said "Why would anyone waste their time with this crap?" When American Idol arrived, I rolled my eyes and even though I could not escape the music of Clay Stutters and that girl who sings "Since You've Been Gone", I did not care. But I am sad to say that I have fallen hard for a reality-competition-television show. I, The Doc, love So You Think You Can Dance. I don't much care for the voting parts, and the eliminations aren't that heartbreaking for me (although I do get a little sorrowful when someone I like leaves). I don't really pay much attention to the behind-the-scenes looks at the contestants. And I friggin' HATE that Mary woman. But I love to watch the dancing. For most of the show, I read my book or I knit, basically ignoring the screen. But when they start the routine, I am rivited. I am not ashamed. I am, however, worried that this might carry over to So You Think You Can Dance Canada. I only have so much time in my day.

The Movie: Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was, in a syllable, meh. It was exciting in parts, and really disappointing in others. I loved every scene with Karen Allen in it; she and Harrison Ford have a lot of chemistry. But although there were hints of adventure, the movie sagged, not because Indy seemed old, but because he seemed above it all. He seemed like it was obvious he was going to get away: all the references to his past adventures and all the knowledge he had right at his fingertips without having to bother researching, it just made him seem too good for the movie. And, in a sense, he was.

The Music: If you like punk-rock-ish music and r&b, then you should check out The Carps. I heard these guys a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop playing their The Young & Passionate Days of Carpedia EP; I probably listen to it once every day. Definitely recommended.

That's it, folks. But tune in tomorrow for part one of a two- (or three-) part article on movies and my reactions to them. You won't want to avoid waiting to not miss it!

No comments: