Monday, August 13, 2007

Obit: Mike Wieringo



Mike Wieringo died yesterday morning from a heart attack. He was 44 years old. I first found out this morning from Newsarama, and I was just stunned. I never met the man, but he was one of my favourite comics artists. Many other people have already covered this and said very nice things: fellow comics professionals who knew him and called him their friend, many comics bloggers, and just fans who'd only met him once or just knew him through his work. I'm not going to put up a big spiel here. I just wanted to say that I will miss him because of how much I enjoyed his work. I loved his stuff with Mark Waid on The Flash in the 90s and Fantastic Four in the 00s, and I checked his sketchblog (currently down) a few times a week to see some great art and read what he was thinking. Even if you're not a comics fan, take a look at some of his art; there's a lot to appreciate. The man was a great artist and storyteller, and we're going to be missing out on a lot of great stories because of his early death. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.



Mike Wieringo (1963-2007).

No comments: