Thursday, August 02, 2007

Shooting For The Moon...And Missing

Two and a half years ago, when I was a bright-eyed lad of twenty-five, I made myself a 101 in 1001 list. A list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. A lot of my friends were doing it, and it seemed like the type of bandwagon I could really get on top of. I thought I was being ambitious but reasonable, and I made a separate blog for it and everything. Which I pretty much ignored.

Looking back at it, my 101 in 1001 list is laughable. I was a student, for Pete's sake: why do so many of the goals involve the expenditures of large-ish sums of cash? Buying things, going places, planning things: all involved way more money than I had, or even have. A lot of it, too, suffered from my procrastination, which was easy to do because it wasn't on my main blog or anywhere that would actually remind me of it. Since then I've found a few other things that helped me reach my goals. Discovering 43Things, for instance, which might have helped me reach some of these goals due to the simple fact that I visit at least twice a week. But it's been 888 days (oooh, fancy!) and I've only done sixteen of the things on my list. Well, I've done more than sixteen, I've just neglected writing about them. But even if I'd done twice that many, I'd still have 67 things to do in 113 days, which won't happen.

So I'm trying to do something about it. I'll transfer my 101 in 1001 activities over to here, and see if that makes things any better. Not that I write a lot here either, but it might help. And on November 19, when my first list expires, I'll make a new one. One that's more pragmatic and accomplishable. Because I think there's merit in this exercise, even if it's simply a mental kick in the ass every couple of weeks to get on and live your life. (Seriously: I live in Canada and I haven't even gone snowboarding yet? That's ridiculous.)

2 comments:

Xeryfyn said...

Alas, the much touted and anticipated and woefully ignored 101 list. I actually have over half done but now sure if the other half will follow suit. After all, so many of the things on the list were developmental for teh girls and I cannot (nor want to) hasten those growing up moments more than they are already passing me by. However, I have discovered that the 101 list does exist in my psyche almost daily. I work on some of those things every single day and, perhaps, it is more of a realization of how much I accomplish even when I am not looking and that feels pretty darn satisfying to see it as a list.

The Doc said...

Xeryfyn, I'm glad it works for you. For me, because it was so far-fetched, it just pops up in my head every couple of months and I say, "Oh, DANG it!"