Monday, February 09, 2009

All Times Are Valentimes!

I thought about doing a traditional "I hate Valentine's Day" post, but I've decided against it. Not saying I actually Valentine's Day, because I really don't. If you're curious, it has to do with the whole "societally mandated day that you must prove your love" angle of the day. And while I still believe that, I think I've mellowed a little in my old age, and my opinions aren't as ABSOLUTE and UNYIELDING as they used to be. So I'm willing to loosen my stranglehold on that opinion a little in order to make things tolerable around my house. The Peach knows I don't like it, but she still likes the whole idea, so I'm willing to swallow my pride - and my tongue - and meet her halfway. This 14th I will be getting her a tiny present with a card, and we will have a romantic meal of champagne and cheeseburgers, followed likely by some movie with Cary Grant in it.

And that's it. That's about all I can handle at this stage in my life, and luckily The Peach isn't super-high-maintenance about it. I'm very glad I'm not with someone who would be like that about Valentine's day, but then again: a relationship like that would have fizzled out long before the first February reared its ugly head. And I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what the kids in my class will be doing for Valentine's day. God, I'm actually looking forward to something V-Day related? I must be losing my bile. The Young Doc would be mortified.

4 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I used to mourn and wear all black. Now I've eased up some myself, and will tolerate wearing a tiny bit of colour. My favourite Valentine pre-Hubbs was a black heart with the white letters "BAH!" written on it. :)

Jago said...

For me, the 14th is merely a reminder that it's two days until my birthday!

Isaac Carmichael said...

Our anniversary is actually on the 15th. We don't have to do much planning though, because most years one or both of us have the flu.

Very romantic!

India doctor said...

nice Blog. I liked it!